THE ROWAYTON HISTORY TRAIL
145 Rowayton Avenue
THEN: The Reliance Hook and Ladder Fire Station
NOW: Rowayton Arts Center (1966 - present)
145 Rowayton Avenue was the first home to the Reliance Hook and Ladder Fire Company, founded after Charles Thomes’ General Store burned to the ground during the winter of 1902. At the time, the closest fire department was in South Norwalk. The station was fully equipped with meeting rooms, a dumbwaiter, and a pool table as well as a large metal ring that would be hit with a sledgehammer to sound the alarm.
In 1926, the building was sold to the Rowayton Library Association for $5,700. It became the
second home of the library.
In 1966, the library moved to its present location at 33 Highland Avenue, and the Rowayton Arts Center moved in.